Thursday 21 August 2014

[Movie] The Impossible

I have always been bored with my weekends. Last weekend, I’ve got nothing interesting to do. When I wanted to go out for a ride around the city, the clouds went dark and poured rain down. So I decided to take the remote and turned on the TV, where I found “The Impossible”. I have heard the title from a couple of years back when I tuned into an entertainment show. A film director told that he wanted to make a movie based on the disastrous tsunami in later 2004 which hit the western shores of South-East Asia. So he contacted a Maria Belon, a survivor from the catastrophic wave, who agreed to share her story – her family’s story.




This film told about an English family who went for sabbatical in Thailand (They are actually Spanish!). Henry Bennet, her husband (in this film), took her and their three sons to stay in a resort in Khao Lak to spend their Christmast holiday. The resort was located just beside the beach which faces the Indian ocean.


Maria was enjoying the heat of the sun on the pool side, reading a novel (www.people.com reported that the book’s title was The Shadow Wind). Her sons splashed about in the pool, playing ball with their father when out of the blue they heard a horrible sound. Maria Belon said, quoted from people.com:
"Seconds later there was a black wall in front of us. I thought it was death. I couldn't imagine it was water. It was a monster. The most horrible monster you can imagine."


The monstrous wave swept her family and other people from the resort. Maria and Lucas were saved by a tree. They hugged the tree until the waves recede. Later in the movie, the family found each other in a hospital where Maria was taken care for surgery, as she injured her left thigh badly.


To give my review, the plot was enjoyably good, but not perfect. During the beginning of the film, you will see jumping scenes (I can imagine the director did so, as he focused on the aftermath of the disaster). Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts acted splendidly. They bought their characters to life. The actors who played the roles of the three sons were not at all bad. And the effects used were amazing! You will feel the drama!
In a nutshell, I can say that this movie worths two hours of your time. Main actors and actress moves the emotion of this movie’s viewer. If you favor the genre of drama with a couple of special effects, I would not let you miss this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment